[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re:- cookies and privacy

At 03:16 PM 7/17/96 MDT, Rob Hartill wrote:

>> Here is how the doubleclick thing works (I suggest it to them).
>
>some of this is clearly wrong.

no it isn't.

>> 2) they send you the ad graphic with a cookie.
>
>doubleclick do not use cookies. Check your cookie file or ask
>Netscape (etc) to notify you when cookies are being set.
>
>> The reason for the cookie is so that they know *which* as graphic they
>> gave you (since the url on the image points to a standard location).
>

>They use URLs to do this. The URLs (can) contain random numbers that
>tie an ad GIF to an advertiser. Look at some doubleclick advertising
>sites and you'll see (e.g. a subset of us.imdb.com's ads are doubleclick)

Wrong it uses cookie - I just got a cookie when I hit one of their ads ...
ad.doubleclick.net	FALSE	/	FALSE	942191940	IAF	8cfe3

>> When you click the image your browser returns the cookie and they use
>> it to figure which ad you saw and where to send you.
>
>doubleclick doesn't do that.

Does so too ;-)
John Pettitt, jpp@software.net
EVP, CyberSource Corporation, 415 473 3065

PGP Key available at:
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/htbin/pks-extract-key.pl?op=get&search=0xB7AA3705